What is it called, when a Large Business or Corporation sees that some product, invention, or medicine will destroy or reduce the size of their market or consumer base; and they either purchase the rights to it, or pay them not to make it; so that they can continue business or enlarge their profit.

I remember hearing about stuff like this happening multiple times, I can't remember the citations, nor can I remember if anyone actually gave a name to this phenomena.

If you can't find a name for it, I will accept a list of 2 or more occurrences as an answer.

closed as off-topic by Semaphore, Comintern, Samuel Russell, Rajib, Branko Sego Oct 25 '14 at 8:30

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on social sciences other than History are off-topic here, unless they also involve history in some fashion. While ethics, archaeology, etc. are all connected to history, each field has their own experts who are better equipped to answer such questions." – Semaphore, Comintern, Samuel Russell, Rajib, Branko Sego
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Not a history question at all. Go ask English.SE. – Semaphore Oct 25 '14 at 3:26
  • 3
    Suggested migration to politics.se, as they're willing to cover non-historical macro economics. – Samuel Russell Oct 25 '14 at 6:34
  • I personally would like that migration, I was looking for stack economics can't believe I didn't find it. ty ;) – GlassGhost Oct 26 '14 at 5:48

There's no specific word for it, but you can call it "buying out the competition" or "keeping a stranglehold on the market".


We call it "unfriendly acquisition".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.