1. Is there a special name to describe the formation of knights that form a row of arches with their swords (for a special person to walk through)?

  2. Was such a formation historically accurate, or only something depicted in movies and art?

  3. If real, which countries/cultures, time periods, and circumstances would it have been used in?

  • 4
    What, you mean like a saber arch? – congusbongus Mar 12 '16 at 23:42
  • 3
    I've always called it a Guard of Honour - for instance, for bride and groom leaving the church at a military wedding - but don't know if this is the formal name for it. – TheHonRose Mar 13 '16 at 1:02
  • A side note: this formation was sometimes used for punishment. – Deer Hunter Mar 13 '16 at 18:43
  • 1
    When one of the volunteer cleaners at our church got married, the other cleaners formed an Honour Guard/Arch - with mops! ;) – TheHonRose Mar 13 '16 at 23:00

Congusbongus was correct. I'm submitting the answer because no answer has been submitted. I don't think it goes back to the middle ages. In the United States it's called the "saber arch" and we get it from the British Navy.

It's a tradition at weddings of military service members, typically when exiting the building in which the wedding ceremony took place. Typically performed by members of the groom/brides? service branch/unit.

Germany and Austria have a similar ceremony for fraternities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_arch


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.