At what year or parts of years were the most current (meaning in office) and former Presidents of the United States alive? It seems that 1833 to 1836 had the most current, former, and future Presidents alive, but what year had the most that actually or were currently serving?
- March 4, 1861 to January 18, 1862: Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln
- January 20, 1993 to April 22, 1994: Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton
- January 20, 2001 to June 5, 2004: Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr
- January 20, 2017 to November 30, 2018: Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, Trump
With the inauguration of Joe Biden, this has happened a fifth time:
- January 20, 2021 to present: Carter, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, Trump, Biden
Here's where I previously predicted it would likely not happen again for the foreseeable future, but given the happy determination of Carter to live forever, I will not do so again.