When looking over the famous 1936 Berlin Olympics, I found out that Hitler did not snub Jesse Owens, but did other Olympic winners (though I don't doubt that Jesse would've been snubbed by him in the first place). While Germany won most of the events, how often did they lose to black athletes?
Limiting ourselves to the USA team, there were 18 African-American Olympians on the 1936 USA Olympic Team. These athletes won a total of 13 medals. And in winning these 13 medals, the African-American athletes finished ahead of the top German athlete every time:
- 100-m dash: Jesse Owens won gold & Ralph Metcalfe won silver. Germany did not win a medal.
- 200-m dash: Jesse Owens won gold & Mack Robinson won silver. Germany did not win a medal.
- 400-m dash: Archie Williams won gold & James LuValle won bronze. Germany did not win a medal.
- 800-m dash: John Woodruff won gold. Germany did not win a medal.
- 110-m hurdles: Fritz Pollard won bronze. Germany did not win a medal.
- 4 x 100-m relay: Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalfe were on the USA team (along with Foy Draper and Frank Wykoff), which won gold. Germany won the bronze medal.
- Long jump: Jesse Owens won gold. Germany won the silver medal.
- High jump: Cornelius Johnson won gold, and Dave Albritton won silver. Germany did not win a medal.
- Bantamweight boxing: "California" Jackie Wilson won silver. Germany did not win a medal.
I did look for athletes with African ancestry from other countries in the 1936 Olympics, but I was unable to find any. Very few African countries participated in the 1936 Olympics (most of them weren't even independent at the time), so any other athletes of African ancestry at these games would probably have been from Canada, a South American country, or possibly Great Britain or France.
EDIT: I managed to find a non-USA athlete of African descent who also won a medal at the 1936 Games: Phil Edwards, who won a bronze medal for Canada in the 800-m dash. As noted above, Germany did not win a medal in that event.
My uncle, "California" Jackie Wilson won the silver medal in the 1936 Berlin Olympics at bantamweight.