A simple question really. I'm trying to find a word and my Google-fu has failed me.

  • Baron is to Barony
  • Duke is to Duchy
  • Earl is to what?
  • FWIW, I think the question is on topic. Simple, but not trivial. If you don't know the term, it is very difficult to search for it, and for obvious reasons, "Earldom" doesn't follow modern English inflection patterns. I believe we could add the "England" tag, because I don't think there are Earldoms anywhere else?
    – MCW
    Jul 20, 2016 at 19:27
  • @MarkC.Wallace Scotland and Ireland had their own Earldoms.
    – Steve Bird
    Jul 20, 2016 at 20:51

1 Answer 1


It's an earldom.

You can see here a list of them:


  • 5
    Note that it may also be a county; as the English earl is equivalent to the European count. Hence a vice-count, or viscount, is one noble rank below earl in the English peerage. Jul 21, 2016 at 2:34
  • 2
    And a female Earl is referred to as a Countess. Jul 21, 2016 at 12:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.