What is the story behind this photo?
When was this photo taken? Who are the models?
This photo, in many places on the internet, even in this article on "Chinese wikipedia", is shown as an example of a Lenin Jacket (列宁装). It is shown as an example of a particular type of fashion, the Lenin Jacket. Apparently, the 1950s were years of strong Soviet influence that extended into the realm of women's fashion. From what I read, this was a fashion trend important to Chinese modernization.
Here are the specific questions:
- In what year was this photo taken?
- What is the context of this photo? (eg, fashion, work photo, uniforms, news article, personal photo)
- Who were the people? (fashion models?, employees?, cadres? names, if possible)
- Was it published? If so, where?
- When did it start circulating on the internet?
- What is its copyright status?
- Where was it taken? In a studio with a backdrop, or outdoors? In what city, country?
Edit: Please note that this jacket, which is named "Lenin Jacket", and Vladimir Lenin are completely unrelated, except for their name. It is the name of a jacket. It is also unrelated to John Lennon of the Beatles.
Additionally, I am not asking about Vladimir Lenin or about Chinese Women's fashion; the link in the question to Antonia Finnane's book provides a ton of information about Lenin Jackets and other Chinese fashion topics. There are many other resources available. This question is specifically about this specific photo.
This photo shows a woman in a light colored lenin jacket as does this photo. They clearly show that it isn't a Mao suit. It closes at a position offset from center, and is of a different, more feminine cut than a Mao suit.