I am curious about why kingdom of Bavaria was assimilated by Prussia instead of Austria-Hungary
If I consider following facts in 1854
- Bavaria is Catholic country (same as majority of Austria-Hungary), Prussia is Protestant
- The royal family of Austria is connected with Bavaria nobles. Moreover in this year Franz Joseph marries Elizabeth of Bavaria
- Bavaria is a strong ally of Austria that proved its loyalty in past decades. Moreover this alliance is oriented mainly against Prussia.
- Bavaria is geographically and economically strongly connected with Austria-Hungary (Alps, Danube river,...)
- Bavarians share similar cultural origins with Austrians and Western Bohemians
then something happened and in 1871 Bavaria joins Germany forever. Why?