Naval button?

I found this at an former telegraph, pony express and stage stop in NV. It looks like a rivet used mostly for leather or pouches from my research but I really can't ID it for sure button/rivet

  • 1
    What are the measurements? – sempaiscuba Sep 3 '17 at 14:31
  • I would be careful announcing locations where you 'find' things.Nevada is mostly BLM and they frown on any 'artifact' removal. – justCal Sep 3 '17 at 15:19
  • It seems naval, but the rope starts top left and down instead of top right and down, plus there's no eagle, so it's rather unlike the symbols used by the US navy. This has a similar pattern though, in case it helps you narrow your research. – Denis de Bernardy Sep 3 '17 at 16:26
  • It may be useful to search for images of "fouled anchor". (you may wish to search "fouled anchor -globe -eagle" to exclude images from the goat locker. – MCW Sep 3 '17 at 17:22
  • 1
    It does look somewhat like a Royal Navy fouled anchor, for instance as seen in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_ratings_rank_insignia , especially on the OR-4 and OR-7 rank badges. – kimchi lover Sep 3 '17 at 20:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.