When a Napoleonic-era infantry company was taking fire from front and rear, what is the maneuver called where they covered their rear while advancing forward?

closed as off-topic by SPavel, SJuan76, David Thornley, Giter, sempaiscuba Aug 23 '18 at 22:01

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on social sciences other than History are off-topic here, unless they also involve history in some fashion. While ethics, archaeology, etc. are all connected to history, each field has their own experts who are better equipped to answer such questions." – sempaiscuba
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's related to military science and by history. – SPavel Aug 23 '18 at 21:05
  • 1
    Are we perhaps talking Napoleonic-era unit tactics, or are we talking modern-day? (Gone ahead and edited to assume the former, as the latter is off-topic.) That's likely the case, since as near as I can tell, named parade-ground manuvers became militarily obsolete around the time of the Civil War and WWI. – T.E.D. Aug 24 '18 at 13:37
  • 1
    I suspect the term is 'fire and manoeuvre' (or 'fire and maneuver', if you prefer). The term remains in use, and the direction from which the company is/was taking fire, relative to their objective, is/was normally irrelevant. – sempaiscuba Aug 24 '18 at 18:31
  • Hollow or Infantry Square is probably what you are referring to. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_square – Tombo Aug 27 '18 at 17:20
  • 1
    @Tombo - I think you are correct there. However, the question seems to be asking about the name(s) of the parade-ground maneuver, not the name of the formation used to perform them. I say "parade-ground", but in the Napoleonic era, parade ground training was intended to practice maneuvers that the unit would actually be expected to perform under fire. – T.E.D. Aug 28 '18 at 20:14