I follow a suggestion from a question on meta stackexchange to ask about actual, physical architecture here. I hope that is acceptable.
I am interested in the information and features which a knowledgeable observer, e.g. architect or real estate agent, would require to reach an informed estimation on the construction period of a building which is within his/her area of expertise.
- no information of the construction materials
- no access to the interior of the buildings
- only residential building
- only ordinary buildings from the general building stock (no outstanding features)
- allowed is information on the exterior, i.e. facade (from pictures or in situ inspection)
- allowed is information on the topology of the area , e.g. surrounding buildings (again no information on the age), distance from city center ...
A little background to this question: I want to train a machine learning algorithm to recognize construction periods of buildings in order to use the information for building energy simulations. Here is a similar study.
Experiences from any geographic region are welcome.