enter image description here

I am trying to research my grandfather’s WW1 service record. All I have to go on is this photo, which has a Taunton photography studio on the back. I think it might be the Somerset Light Infantry, but the uniform has some differences/oddities and I don’t know what that says about the specifics of rank/battalion etc.

There’s no piping down the front of the tunic and there are flap pockets at his hips. Also the collar and cuffs appear to be the same color or shade as the rest of the tunic. He had a very common name, so any information to narrow down the search would be greatly appreciated!

  • 3
    This question has been flagged as opinion related; I'm skeptical. We have a good record of identifying uniforms from photographs; we have lots of experts on military uniforms and some really excellent skills at photography analysis/searching. – MCW Jun 3 '20 at 11:55
  • 2
    you say the uniform has some oddities - could you be more specific? – MCW Jun 3 '20 at 11:56
  • Cap badge looks like Somerset Light Infantry to me. Banner across the top should read "Jellalabad" (in all caps). Letters "PA" Prince Albert's) between the bugle hangers below the crown fogs it up enough to look solid in the photo. – R Leonard Jun 3 '20 at 15:34
  • Thanks guys. I only recently saw the photo for the first time as I live in Australia. The badges taken with the Taunton photographer seemed to match the Somerset light infantry cap badge. The owner of a local militaria shop said it wasn't a dress uniform as it had pockets, no dark blue facings and no piping down the front. He said it looked like a home service undress frock, except that it had piping on the cuffs, collar and shoulder straps (but he's not an expert on British uniforms). I haven't been able to find any uniforms that match these details on the web. Can anyone shed light? – Clive Candy Jun 4 '20 at 0:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.